What are some of the common warning signs of identity theft?
The warning signs of identity theft may be obvious, but it is important to review a few of the most common ones:
- You receive bills from a credit card account that you did not open.
- You discover a "credit inquiry" on one of your credit reports indicating that someone has applied for credit in your name.
- You are contacted by a collection agency regarding a debt that is not yours.
- You are turned down on a credit application for a credit card, mortgage, or other form of credit due to unauthorized debts that appear on your credit report.
- You see unauthorized charges you don't recognize on your credit cards, bank accounts, or even long distance bills.
- Your bank account has been suddenly and inexplicably drained or depleted.
- Your bank statement or credit account statements do not arrive on time. This is a sign that your personal information, including your address, may have been changed without your authorization.